Friday, October 24, 2014

Be a Creator- Not a Copy Cat

   When intervening with students in the upper grades I've noticed some of their book reports or research projects have rich language, complex sentences and impeccable spelling. Wow, or should I say hmmmm.....  After conferencing with students it was clear "the talk" was necessary.  Plagiarism- students know what it means and they know they're not supposed to do it, but how do you get them to become creators of their own work and not copy cats of someone's work?   I would like to incorporate portions of a lesson I found on Edutopia.  Since the students know what plagiarism is- I would then want to define respect and citation and discuss when it's okay to use someone's work and how you do it properly (using Google research tools would be a great way to start).

No comments:

Post a Comment